Have You Noticed The Shortage Of Rice Krispies? This Is Why Credit for the photograph goes to Roberto Machado. Noa has become a signature of the pandemic, particularly during major holidays. Valentine’s Day was no exception for one Twitter user, who intended to prepare Rice Krispies Treats in honor of the holiday.
- Unfortunately, it did not work out.
- I went to three different stores in search of the cereal, only to find that the shelves were bare,” she said with obvious exasperation.
- I see online that there is a SHORTAGE.” Similar sentiments are prevalent throughout social media.
- In the United States and Canada, cereal aisles are empty and.
They are all asking the same thing: “Where did the Rice Krispies go?” Here are the facts you must know about the ongoing shortage. The Kellogg’s Strike That Began Everything In October 2021, 1,400 Kellogg employees went on strike due to labor negotiations.
- The strike lasted 71 days until both parties reached an agreement on a new five-year contract in December of 2021.
- Due to the length of the strike, a number of Kellogg’s products, including Rice Krispies, have been in short supply as the company attempts to resume production.
- A Component Shortage with Poor Timing The shortage is not caused solely by the strike.
Moreover, the pandemic is to blame: Rice, which is obviously one of the primary ingredients in Rice Krispies, is one of the foods that are difficult to obtain due to disruptions in the supply chain. The cost of the 2021 rice crop increased due to a 16 percent decrease in rice production in the United States in 2021 compared to the previous year.
According to T. Randall Fortenbery, a professor in the School of Economic Sciences at Washington State University, the cost of medium grain rice, the variety used in Rice Krispies, is expected to increase by approximately 15 percent this year. Fortenbery also cited the increased cost of packaging and material shortages of cardboard and wax paper (i.e., the components of a cereal box) as probable causes of the Rice Krispies shortage.
All of these factors have conspired to increase the price of your favorite breakfast cereal, a pinch that some consumers are already experiencing. A Twitter user expresses the sentiment succinctly: “Every time I see the price of original Rice Krispies, I want to faint.” When Is It Going to End? Kellogg’s has acknowledged a “temporary shortage of Rice Krispies” due to “supply constraints in manufacturing” in response to these tweets.
- The company claims it is working as quickly as possible to restock shelves, but there is no estimated date for when production will return to normal.
- In the interim, Kellogg’s suggests using the on its website, which indicates whether a product is available in your area.
- We recommend calling your local shop directly to avoid the need to travel throughout town.
Perhaps Kellogg’s can learn from its competitor Post Consumer Brands, which encountered a similar problem in January when a prompted an online outcry from diehard fans. Mid-March, approximately one month later, Post Consumer Brands will replenish the shelves with sufficient quantities of boxes.
Exist any Rice Krispies that are in short supply?
Calimedia/Shutterstock If Rice Krispies is your go-to cereal, whether you eat it every morning for breakfast or use it to make marshmallowy treats for special occasions, it may be a while before you hear that snap, crackle, and pop. Since the beginning of the pandemic, all cereals have been in shorter supply than usual, but Kellogg’s Rice Krispies have been particularly affected.
Grape Nuts, a popular cereal from Post, was also severely impacted for several months, but by March 2021, according to USA Today, the shortage had officially ended. However, Rice Krispies devotees are still awaiting their turn. Customers are now taking to Twitter to express their dissatisfaction with the lack of availability of blue boxes.
“What’s happening with @ricecrispies? They have not been available in stores for over six months! “One client tweeted. “We are experiencing a Rice Krispies deficit. The world as we once knew it no longer exists. @KelloggsUS help! “additional added. What’s the deal with Rice Krispies these days? Here are all the answers to your questions.
Why were Rice Krispies discontinued in 2022?
Are any flavors of Rice Krispies being discontinued? – Photograph by TonelsonProductions/Shutterstock The last time you saw a fully stocked shelf of your favorite Rice Krispies variety at your local supermarket may have been quite some time ago, but the good news is that Kellogg’s has no plans to discontinue the cereal in the near future.
- In response to a concerned customer’s tweet on February 11, the brand confirmed that the shortage is temporary.
- We continue to produce Frosted Rice Krispies.
- However, due to manufacturing supply constraints, there is a temporary shortage “Rice Krispies was mentioned in a tweet.
- At this time, we do not have an estimated date for its restocking, but we are working as quickly as possible to get it back on store shelves.” To keep customers informed and save them a trip to the grocery store, Kellogg’s has a search function on its website that allows you to determine whether your preferred Rice Krispies cereal is available in your area.
Kellogg’s desires that you consume Rice Krispies as much as you do.