Original publication date: November 4, 2007 12:00 a.m. Updated at 2:00 a.m. on November 4, 2007 Attention, sushi enthusiasts: If you develop sudden stomach cramps, diarrhea, or vomiting, you must inform your doctor of your recent diet. Attention, sushi enthusiasts: If you develop sudden stomach cramps, diarrhea, or vomiting, be sure to inform your doctor of your recent diet.
This is the recommendation of the American College of Gastroenterology, which cites two Japanese studies as evidence. Raw and undercooked fish may contain larvae of the Anisakis roundworm. In humans, the larvae do not survive for long. However, while they are present, they attach to the lining of the stomach and small intestine, causing sudden abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
The symptoms can sometimes be mistaken for those of a small intestinal obstruction or appendicitis, stomach ulcers, or peritonitis. Fluid replacement and rest, rather than more invasive treatments or medications, typically alleviate symptoms, which is why the college recommends communicating your food preferences to your doctor if you experience these symptoms.
Why do I experience diarrhea after consuming fish?
Aquatic Allergy –
- There are two primary causes of diarrhea after consuming fish: an allergy and poisoning, with parasites gaining ground.
- Some individuals are allergic to certain species of fish, and their symptoms can include diarrhea in addition to abdominal pain, headache, rashes, breathing difficulties, swelling, and shock.
- Allergy to finned fish is more prevalent in cultures that consume large quantities of fish, such as Scandinavia and some Asian nations.
If you suspect you have a fish allergy, it is imperative that you undergo proper testing with an allergist. Cross-contamination can occur during food preparation; therefore, it is best to avoid all seafood restaurants and inform the staff of other restaurants about your condition.
Since the introduction of DNA testing, it has been discovered that fish fraud has increased in many nations. This is accomplished through species substitution, in which a less expensive fish is substituted for a more expensive one. This is extremely dangerous for individuals with allergies, as they may unwittingly consume a species they have been warned to avoid.
Snapper and tuna are the species with the highest rates of mislabeling. In the United States, fish species are required to be listed on food labels to assist individuals with food allergies, but this cannot always be relied upon due to fraud. It has been discovered that sushi restaurants have the highest proportion of mislabeled fish.
Why do I experience diarrhea after consuming cheese?
What Should I Do If I Have Diarrhea Following a Meal? As you can see, there are numerous causes of diarrhea after eating, and in most cases it is a one-time occurrence from which you should recover within a few days. Be sure to drink plenty of water to avoid contracting.
If you find that you are regularly suffering, you will need to conduct an investigation. It is a good idea to keep a food journal to determine which foods are causing your diarrhea. Some people do have food intolerances, and it can be helpful to eat a restricted diet for a period of time and then reintroduce foods one by one to determine if you have a reaction.
In contrast to full-blown allergies, the symptoms of a food intolerance may not manifest for several hours or even days. Elimination diets can be dangerous if too many foods or too much time are eliminated. This should ideally be done under the supervision of a certified dietitian.
- It may be necessary to consult a specialist in gastrointestinal disorders in order to obtain an accurate diagnosis of your diarrhea after eating, but this is crucial as it is difficult to determine the best course of action without knowing the cause of the problem.
- Before many years, I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and regularly experienced diarrhea after meals.
I discovered the solution to my problem and can now eat without concern.
- Please visit this page for additional information.
- DiarrheaNurse hopes that this page has provided you with answers to your questions about diarrhea after eating.
- Please explore the site for more information about and.
- Photographic credits:
Gum by Seo75 http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eclipse-Ice-gum-lemonburst-peppermint-and-spearmint-flavours.JPG Chicken (cropped) by Marjon Lazarevski http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlazarovski/8500053523 Eggs (cropped) by SG http://www.flickr Enjoy this website? Please pass kindness along. This is how. Would you rather share this page with others via a link?
- Click the HTML link code displayed below.
- Copy and paste it, along with your own commentary, into your blog, a website, a forum, a blog comment, or your Facebook account, or anywhere else someone might find it useful.
Causes of Diarrhea After Eating